Processing Biological Signals (Non-Invasive)
This article presents, irrelevant as the to the technologies used, some of our current capabilities that I’ve noticed have generally escaped the general public’s attention.
Some of these articles are merely interesting, while others provide a glimmer into the abuses that could be suffered if technologies are not mediated by a trust-able governing body. Think I’m exaggerating? Consider that scientists have been able to detect, extract, and decode a person’s ‘inner voice’ – which is the voice that most people use to think. What could happen if this technology became available, enabling anyone to hear your inner most private thoughts? Who could you trust to regulate such a technology to protect you?
Here is a list of just a few of the more interesting studies that have been performed:
Decoding Personal Thoughts / Dreams:
- Are my thoughts private? Not any more. When you think, you use your ‘inner voice’ – just like when you read silently. Scientists have tapped into this section of the brain – and can now listen into your thoughts.
- Can you see my dreams? Yes! The current science is crude, but it is possible to record individuals dreams and play them back later.
- Scientists can use brain imaging, and image reconstruction, to reveal the “movies in our mind”.
Brain Construct / Signal Generation / Thought Processing:
- The signals generated by your brain generate a unique signature, that could be used to identify people with 100 per cent accuracy.
- While each of us is a distinct individual – we all share a common neural code.
Behavior / Emotional / Learning:
- It is possible to selectively manipulate our ability to learn through the application of a mild electrical current to the brain. This effect can be enhanced or depressed depending on the direction of the current.
- Magnetic Brain Stimulation can be used to treat severe depression. The US Army also performed a study.
- Christopher deCharms demonstrates a new way to use fMRI to show brain activity — thoughts, emotions, pain — while it is happening. In other words, you can actually see how you feel.
Life Enhancing / Physical Disability Correction:
- Families can hear from those unable to communicate because they have juvenile amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Decoded brain signals provide a way for voiceless people to speak.
- Another technology that allows people to speak, but that is connected to a different area of the brain.
- Scientists enable a paralyzed men use his legs using non-invasive spinal cord stimulation, using tDCS.
- Scientists enable a man to move his legs using non-invasive spinal cord stimulation.
- Brain to Computer Interface enables paralyzed man to walk, using EEG.
- Brain to Computer Interface allows paralyzed man to walk using an exoskeleton, using EEG.
- Brain to Computer Interface that enables a paralyzed man to walk again using EEG and muscle stimulation.
- Brain to Machine Interface used to control a prosthetic hand.
- Even more extreme, a man having lost both arms now has robotic prosthetics that he controls with his mind (really, it is controlled by the remaining muscles on the body).
- China is embracing research in sensors, brain-image scanners and other high-tech equipment to study children’s learning and performance in real time.
- People also emit Bio-photons (Photons), which have been used to detect cancer.
- Linking the human nervous system to computers is providing unprecedented control of artificial limbs and restoring lost sensory function.
- Prosthetic device with a sense of touch (enabling the person to ‘feel’).
- Brain-Machine Interface Goes Wireless to control prosthetic.
- Bionic Hands.
- First person to live with a mind-controlled robotic arm.
- Smartphone app keeps watch over schizophrenic patients.
- EEG could lead to earlier autism diagnosis.
- Using bio-photon detection as a novel technique for cancer imaging.
- MindMaze can help patients retrain their brain and regain motor functions.
- Measuring brain temperature using light.
- A thought controlled car.
- Automotive driver monitoring system monitors heart, respiration and brain activity to identify stress, fatigue and lack of concentration.
- Password security – logging into devices with your mind.
- Authentication using In Ear EEG.
- The ability to control a drone swarm using a virtual tactical air control map and a glove, and the ability to determine if a foreigner is believing the information they are being told via the detection of heartbeat variability, body temperature, and vocal inflection using radar and video.
- Small thought-controlled drones.
- Thought controlled UAV drones being developed by the US Army. Another article here.
- Hackers successfully extract sensitive data directly from the brain.
- Detecting images in your mind.
- US Pentagon researching soldier telepathy. EEG will be used to extract the “pre-speech” that your brain generates prior to it being vocalized.
- US Pentagon to develop mind-reading binoculars. At all times your brain recognizes images and information with-in your entire field of vision, but your brain only makes you aware of parts of it. Combined with AI, these binoculars help identify threats and targets that might be missed by a soldier.
- US Pentagon researching technologies such as, a human exoskeleton, tele-presence, robotic augmentation, technologies to help overcome injuries, and silent talk.
- US DARPA’s threat-recognition system incorporates mind, machine.
- US DARPA surveillance system uses EEG for image filtering.
- Brain training moves from battlefield to corporate boardrooms.
- US Army investigating brain Interface to enable control of robots in space.
- US Army toyed with telepathic “ray” guns. This is for real and was only recently declassified!
- Russia toyed with ‘Zombie’ gun that attacks the central nervous system. Note that it will not actually turn you into a zombie! Another article here.